Busted electrical power outlets are a common household issue.
But before you can fix a faulty electrical power point, you need to identify what’s causing the problem. After all, electrical outlets run several appliances in any modern household.
So, if any electric socket on the wall is not in optimal working condition, you are most likely having issues running even the most ordinary electrical appliances.
On that note, we are here to help you identify the probable causes that can lead to the malfunctioning of any electrical power point in a domestic household. After going through our article, we hope you’ll be able to identify the faulty power outlets at your house.
So, without wasting any more time, let us get on with it!
Before dealing with busted power outlets, you have to identify which electrical power points have stopped working in the house. That said, here are some signs to look out for to determine whether a plug point needs repair work:
Suppose you are experiencing even minor electrical shocks every time you try to plug in an appliance or device to the power outlet. In that case, the electrical power point is almost definitely faulty.
The outer body of power sockets is made from high-grade plastic that prevents electrical transmissions. So, when you experience any sudden electrical shock while using a power outlet, it indicates that something is wrong with the electrical wiring inside the power socket.
Electrical shocks may be signs of a pocket socket that has corroded. If you have unused power sockets in your home that are gathering dust, they are more likely to cause electrical shocks due to corrosion. It is best to immediately replace these power outlets to avoid any severe electrical hazard in the house.
Are you experiencing sudden flashes of light and smoke every time you try to use the plug socket?
It is most likely that your electrical power point might be acting up, which can lead to serious fire hazards. Sparks that occur every time the power socket is turned indicates that the electrical power point is malfunctioning and cannot withstand the high voltage.
Burning smells are also common if the power pocket is corroded. Under such circumstances, you need to immediately switch off the power supply connection to avoid causing electrical fires.
It is best to hire professional help in such cases instead of trying to fix the faulty electrical power point on your own.
The switches present in an electrical power point usually have a fixed lifespan. So, it is normal for them to become loose and stop functioning if the socket is quite old.
And once the switches on the electrical power point stop functioning correctly, you have no other option but to replace them.
You can identify faulty switches if you continuously experience flickering lights in the house. The flickering indicates that the switches cannot conduct the electrical supply from the electrical wires inside the plug to the lights.
If you see a plug sitting loosely in the socket as you plug an appliance into the power outlet, the electrical power point may not work correctly.
If you can’t insert the plug inside the socket, it may mean that the power socket is out of order. A plug that wobbles inside the power socket may also fail to connect the appliance with the power source.
These loose plug sockets can lead to unstable electrical connections that may further result in electrical shocks and other fatal electrical hazards. Such a condition may occur due to continuous plugging and unplugging of devices inside the socket, which causes the spring mechanism of the plug socket to get damaged gradually.
It will be best to hire a professional to replace the electrical power socket to avoid any accidents.
You may notice that some of the appliances don’t work when you plug them into a particular power socket. Under such circumstances, first, check whether the problem is with the devices or the power source.
As an added tip, try plugging in the appliances to other outlets to check if they work. If you see that they are working fine once they are plugged into a different power socket, you’ll know that the problem lies with the electrical power point itself.
That said, an appliance that ceases to work may indicate that the power socket has stopped functioning and needs immediate replacement.
Once you have identified all the faulty electrical power points in your home, it’s time to look for the root cause of the problem.
There can be several reasons why an electrical power point might suddenly stop working. This section will highlight some common reasons to help you narrow down the possibilities. So, let’s take a look.
If you have a tripped circuit breaker, you need to be careful while using the power outlets in the house.
Simply put, a circuit breaker “trips” when there is an excess flow of electrical current through the circuits inside an electrical power point. This usually happens when you use too many appliances together, leading to an electrical current overload.
So, if your circuit breaker trips, it is an indication that you are overworking the electrical power points in the house. That said, it is common for an overworked electrical power point to stop working suddenly.
At the same time, a tripped circuit breaker acts more like a precaution to let you know when your electrical power points are being overworked.
It is possible that your electrical power points are not working because they are not receiving any electrical current.
If the electricity in your house is operated from a fuse box, you need to check that it is functioning properly under such circumstances. That said, a blown-up fuse will disrupt the flow of electrical current to all electrical outlets in the house.
So, it will be best to replace the fuse to get your power outlets around the house up and running again.
The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) is used to prevent any damage to the power outlets from short circuits. Simply put, the GFCI automatically detects short circuits and acts as a safety device against electrical shocks.
So, if you have a busted GFCI, it indicates that the power outlet is not working at all. In that case, it is better not to try and fix it on your own because that might cause electrical hazards. Instead, call your local electrician to fix the mess.
Unexpected and strong electrical surges can put too much pressure on the electrical wiring, which can lead to overheating. The overheated electrical wiring can then cause serious damage to electrical power points.
So, if you see sparks or smoke coming out of the power outlets, you need to immediately contact a local electrician and replace the outlets to avoid fire hazards.
Another primary reason behind a faulty electrical power point is poor installation. Indeed, an unexperienced electrician’s work may be responsible for not working electrical outlets around the house
In that case, it is best to contact an experienced and qualified professional expert who can check and replace the faulty wiring or power outlet safely.
After going through the article, we hope you can identify your house’s faulty electrical power points and assess why they are not working. Anyhow, it is always best to contact a professional expert who can take a look at the electrical wiring and power outlets of your house.
Needless to say, faulty power points can be a real pain in a modern household. So, if you have busted power outlets in the house, we suggest that you replace them quickly and safely by hiring professional help.
And on that note, we will be concluding this comprehensive guide. If you need any assistance with power points in Melbourne, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with our friendly electricians.
Stay safe, and stay tuned for more handy tips and tricks!
Are you concerned about why your air conditioner is leaking? We have brought a detailed guide that may help you detect the issue instantly and how to address it.Read More
Wondering how to get your bathroom exhaust fan sparkly clean with little effort? We have compiled a guide with everything you need to know to get the work done.Read More